Saturday, August 14, 2010

An epic of epic epicness.

What am i supposed to say about a movie that was written and directed by the same guy that did Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead?  About a movie that has plenty of elements from anime (ranging from over-the-top slapstick action to laser shooting finger guns to the "what the heck just happened" feeling) as well as the video game elements that make me love Press Start (including actual video game music)  as well as humor and wit that reminds me of Monty Python (well, going too much into that would spoil the fun, wouldn't it)?



Well, I can say this: this movie is awesome.  It has lines that I'll be quoting for a long time.  It has references so cleverly hidden that I probably will still miss some of them a second time through.  It has fantastic visuals, clever writing, and a quality that makes me feel like it would be just as awesome without all the snazzy big budget special effects.

See this movie.  I highly recommend it, though I do caution that it is well deserving of the PG-13 rating.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. It stayed true to the books, although many of the lesser plot points were scraped in order for everything to fit. I prefer the books, but as far as movie adaptions go I think this is one of the better ones to come out.

    ReplyDelete