Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Last Airbender

Yay, another movie!

 They couldn't call it Avatar, since James Cameron's movie took the name

I feel I should first say that I've never seen the Anime, (yes, I know it was animated in the west.  It's still an Anime) and that was completely on purpose.  You see, I've noticed something over the years, I think I'll call it the rule of remakes: Whatever the movie is based off of will nearly always be better than the movie.  For this reason, I decided early on that, having never watched the show, I would wait and watch the movie first, letting myself judge it for what it is, and not compare it to the source material.

Unfortunately, I think that this movie suffers from Dragonball: Evolution syndrome; it isn't the anime, therefore the fans will hate it regardless.  No matter how accurate it is, no matter how good the casting, acting, script, etc. Things will be left out.  Their favorite character won't get enough screen time, their voice will be off, etc.   No, there will be no pleasing the rabid fans, so disregard them (if you are a rabid fan, disregard this review) and go see it. 


Yes, that's right, I defy the internet (you can expect more of that, I refuse to be a habitual cynic) and actually like this movie.  It's fun, it's M. Night Shamallamaman, it's well worth a Saturday afternoon matinée.  It was everything I expected;  not as good as Prince of Persia or Iron Man, but up there with G.I. Joe and Dragonball Evolution. Although I wouldn't recommend seeing it in 3D. (really, I wouldn't recommend paying extra to see any movie in 3D)

On the Farwin Scale of Movies: I'd definitely see it again, and I want to watch the Anime now.

But why should you care what I thought?  You know if you want to see it or not.  So go see for yourself (or not) and make your own decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment