Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cyclical time

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

—George Santayana
I cannot fathom what it must be like to be someone who was familiar with SNES, NES, and Sega Genesis back in the day.  I remember when my family got a SNES, back when I was around 4 years old, which was rather late in the cycle.  I cannot fathom it, but the current state of Video Games is to the point where even a youngin' like myself is getting Déjà vu.  I can't even imagine what Malstrom and others like him have been going through for the past 4 years.  As far as I know, that was one of the major reasons for Malstrom doing what he did, he saw history being repeated.

I get that feeling, though, when I see new versions of Sonic, Donkey Kong Country, and every new 2D Castlevania since Symphony of the Night coming back.


I get that feeling when I look at the past, and see a push for 3D including clunky glasses,

 And Nintendo releasing a portable 3D device,


and I get some semblance of what those older than myself must feel.

History repeats itself, and those who do not learn from it are doomed to the repetition.  Nintendo appears to have learned from their past, and it will be interesting to see the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment