Thursday, September 11, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy

In case you haven't heard in the past Month and a half, this movie is flippin' fantastic.

I just got back from watching it, and wow, I say WOW!  I'm just completely blown away by this movie.

If you can't tell by the poster, trailers, or anything else you may have seen about the movie, This is a complete and utter 80's space opera science fiction popcorn movie blast.  In fact, the trailers and promotional material will probably tell you everything you need to know.  If anything about this sounds like something you don't want to see, then by all means skip this movie.  If you think the concept of a walking tree and a talking Raccoon is completely dumb, then by all means skip this movie.

If, on the other hand, this sounds awesome like it did to me, or even if you just find it mildly interesting, I'd suggest seeing this movie. Several times. With friends if possible.

It's not a perfect movie, but This is easily the best movie I've seen this year (granted, there's not a whole lot of competition in that regard) and easily the best Marvel movie I've seen yet. (Better than the Avengers. Yeah.)

Remember that: It's a Marvel movie.  It's not Inception, It's not The Dark Knight, and it's not Watchmen.  The story is predictable, (I don't think there's anything that happens that I didn't call ahead of time,) it's not (remotely) cerebral, and there's nothing really new about it, and it's not breaking into any new territory.

The thing is, the movie is good enough that I just don't care about any of that. 

Also, bear in mind that all of the criticisms of this movie can also be said of Star Wars: A new hope.  A movie which, unsurprisingly, this movie feels a lot like, and obviously lifts heavily from (the inside of the main character's ship, The (Alyssa) Milano seems awfully similar to the inside of The Millenium Falcon for example.


In short, (TL;DR) this is by no means a perfect movie, but if you think you might like this movie, go see it.  If you are merely interested, go see it.  Heck, even if you think you won't like it and you just want to see what all the fuss is about, go see it anyway so you can annoy everyone you know by nitpicking it to death.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a strange urge to watch Spaceballs again.

No comments:

Post a Comment