Friday, September 12, 2014

Zoe Quinn

I suppose I'll make a blog post on this debacle, considering I'm blogging again and this is still somehow something that's being talked about after a month.  A month, that's like 30 years in internet time.





(I love how he's looking at the cat)






If you've managed to get this far and haven't heard about Zoe Quinn and #gamergate, I suggest this video as a primer:


So, Zoe Quinn, the unattractive troll who slept her way into recognition and lied her way onto Steam.  What is there to say that really hasn't been said already?  You can follow the video to its Youtube page where there are many, many videos about the issue.


 So the game industry and journalism is corrupt?






I've seen game after game get 9s and 10s for no conceivable reason.  Games that are terrible in a great many senses of the word.  I guess one thing to say, if you're going to take something away from this, is always, always, always look at the negative reviews.  And look at the user reviews, ignore the industry stooges.

Of course, hiring the stooges doesn't always work.

(oh, and FYI, don't pay any attention to metacritic. People haven't taken it seriously for like 6 years, and I never did.)

Gaming journalism is part of the marketing arm of the games industry.  This should be obvious.  There are a great many games being made that are outright terrible, but they have graphics, so they get sold.  They're like Michael Bay movies.  Yes, they look pretty, but I'm not wasting my money on them because they're not good  Sure, every now and then an average quality game comes out and people (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻, but that, unfortunately, is the exception, rather than the rule.

Anyway, back on topic:



I think the real reason for the madness of #gamergate  stems from gamers' reaction from feminism's intrusion into games.  People are extremely shocked to see the lies, cover-ups, and just plain corruption rampant in the world applied to something they are invested in.

And yes, I mean feminism, not non-whites, women, or other minorities. People with claims of "mysogyny" and other deflecting, like claiming that everyone who opposes the corruption is a virgin straight white male neckbeard troll spawned in 4chan are the exact reason that #notyourshield was born.

Anyway, I've talked enough about this, and I've hopefully given you enough resources for a starting point to gather your own facts and come to your own conclusions.  (please, don't take my word for anything, I'm just some random blogger on the internet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment